Ford’s new aluminum-body F-150 has caused a frenzy among competitive OEMs, who are inking deals with aluminum suppliers.
Since the easiest way to improve fuel economy is by reducing weight, aluminum is likely to be in high demand. And, in the short term, there’s not enough aluminum to go around.
- Tough new CAFE standards driving OEMs to find lightweight materials
- Since aluminum is light and strong, it’s a logical choice
- Ford has much of the world’s automotive-grade aluminum locked up to build those F-150s
- But Novelis, Alcoa, and other aluminum manufacturers are busy adding capacity
- More aluminum-bodied pickups in the works; same for SUVs