Up until recently, automotive dealerships were convinced they needed to work with SEO professionals and engage online customers by tapping into Search Engine Optimization techniques. Could it be this is no longer the way to bring traffic to your website?
Google is still the most used search engine, but is there an over-dependence?
There is common thinking that marketing and engaging the customers online means tapping into Search Engine Optimization. And for many people, it’s all about working with SEO professionals who will tweak the site’s infrastructure, paying attention to title tags, Follow and No Follow Links, Meta tags and even the layout of the website and content that is rarely created for actual people to read. The understanding is that if the website is attractive for Google spiders, then traffic will easily stream into the website. This approach is vastly changing.
How to Market Your Business to Customers, Not to Google:
- Using SEO for Google is not marketing; marketing is engaging your customers directly and in a personal manner.
- Customers will find you through Google, and your standing on SERPs will increase your chances of being clicked first.
- But keep in mind that there are other ways customers can find you online.
- SEO may be overhyped online as the marketing of choice, because SEO is not marketing.
- Make sure your website has the elements and contents that ‘can talk to people’ and entice them to learn more about your business.
What Dealer Managers Should be Aware of Today:
- Google is not your customer, rather you are Google’s customer.
- Don’t build for Google, build for your customers.
- Real marketing and advertising is reaching out and showing customers what you are.
- Your website is marketing yourself, marketing your products, marketing your sales people.