By Kathi Kruse
For dealerships, the daily operation may not conform to the creation and constant feeding of a blog. If you’re the owner or manager, it’s hard to even know where to start. Blogging is an extended conversation that goes on through every level of the sales process.
Here are 6 tips to help you get your blog up and running:
1. Stake Your Claim
Branding is important here so choose a URL that’s memorable. A good choice is to use your dealership business name with “blog” after it (example: ABCMotorsBlog.com). If you’ve done your SEO homework then people will find your site. Optimize your blog to give users more of what they’re looking for.
2. Build Your House
• The ideal platform for dealerships is WordPress (self-hosted). Download a theme (framework), add your custom branding (design) and then further customize it with plugins (small pieces of software that enhance your blog).
• The self-hosted version of WordPress allows you to own all your content. Another platform like Blogger or WordPress.com houses your content on another’s server.
• WordPress offers visibility and influence with search engines.
• WordPress provides nice options to converse with your readers (prospects) in the comments section.
3. Open the Gates
• Once your blog is built, it’s time to think about what you’re going to say. Think like your customer. What are the things they are searching for? Make a list. Brainstorm with your staff – they are the ones who talk to your customer everyday.
• One of the best ways to stay informed and remain inspired is to consume content. Spend 15 minutes a day reading others’ blogs and information about what your customer is interested in.
• Be open. Be aware. There are opportunities for blogpost ideas everyday at your dealership. It’s just a matter of shifting your mindset and honoring the process.
4. Avoid Excuses
As the saying goes, “Writers have the cleanest kitchens.” It’s human nature to avoid or resist things that we know we’re going to be judged on. Blast through that because it’s BS. You know more about your product and services than anybody else on the planet. Your perspective is highly valuable to those who are searching for it.