In a recent KBB.com Quick Poll, consumers were asked if they would ever consider purchasing a self-driving vehicle.
Their answers, and questions raised, were somewhat surprising.
In a recent KBB.com Quick Poll, we asked consumers if they would ever consider purchasing a self-driving vehicle. While 53 percent replied “no, never,” the remaining 47 percent were either ready today or were waiting for the technology to mature.
Here are some other questions that surround this technology:
- How will this technology impact retail sales at the dealer level in the short and long term?
- How will insurance agencies handle these vehicles? Will premiums eventually be lower for them than human-driven vehicles?
- How does the car keep the human driver engaged enough to take over in an emergency situation since it’s human nature to tune out from processes that we are not wholly invested in?
- If we gradually move to only having self-driving cars on the road, will human drivers eventually lose so much of their driving abilities and instincts taught through months or years of practice today that it would actually be worse for the human driver to take over in an emergency?
- Will regular human-driven vehicles eventually be legislated out of existence?