Automotive News & industry pubs post articles & how-to again & again.
Industry consultants who have millennial kids provide advice & counsel
See link article to Automotive News [May have to subscribe to get PayWall content]
Basic message: Give Millennials their head, entrust, & get outa the way.
The Significance that you might heed:
This is not the how the auto industry manages or sells them cars.
It pretty much--tell em WHY they shd do something & get outa the way.
So turn the your dealership or company over to them & go play golf.
See what Expert, Jason Dorsey, said to Automotive News. ______________________________________________________________________________
The Country's business and news publications are posting articles and content on the growing stress, resistance, and outright concern that seem to growing every day.
HERE IS AN EXAMPLE:
Here is an article from this week's Business Week posted and you can gain more perspective from Washington Post.
"Americans are more stressed than ever, which shouldn’t come as much of a surprise to anyone living in America who owns a smartphone or TV. A new poll from the American Psychological Association shows that the nation’s stress levels in January were even worse than in August, in the thick of the angriest campaign in recent memory.
That stress penetrates party lines—including 76 percent of Democrats and 59 percent of Republicans—and age groups. While some believed anxiety levels would decrease after the election, once the campaigning wound down, it seems to be steadily moving in the opposite direction".
Link to the Washington Post
So --GM and Honda are investing $85 million to mass produce the tech for hydrogen-powered cars.
Watch out EVs–FCVs are alive: See What Analysts Say about GM-Honda JV Mass Produce of Hydrogen Fueled Vehicles
So What does it mean to you, the Industry, and the Future of Hydrogen powered or fuel cell vehicles?
See how and what 4 of the Industry's leading analysts had to say when this announcement was made earlier in February.
You will see that hydrogen has a ways to go but the OEMs are on it.
See what firms like FirstElementfuel is doing to install hydrogen fueling stations in CA.
1) Joint Venture done to gain economies of scale.
2) Hydrogen now viable alternative fuel sources
3) Both companies view this project as too big for one OEM by 2020
The Significance to Dealers & Industry
1) Companies like FirstElementFuel are installing FCV refueling in California.
2) This OEM move to create 100 or more jobs in Detroit plus fueling station installation.
3) See positive kbb.com & Autotrader.com analysts commentary on FCVs to gain more perspective.
See complete article from Business Insider for more detail
Why Six in Sixty?
SIX in SIXTY – 6 Most Significant Developments from Last Week that You Will Want-To-Know in 60 Seconds
You are getting your industry and business news feeds and reads from multiple sources.
All of this news and information tends to be the same story content, in diff formats
So What does SIX in SIXTY seek to do for you?
1) Tell you What and Why in 10 second e-bites right NOW.
2) Cover developments that may matter to your short & long term
3) Give you an advance leg-up on breakthrough tech, ideas, & trends.
Here is the List of Six developments for this past week. Read, Route, Tweet, and be smart.
We are posting these Ten Significant items in such a way that you can quickly see and skim through news you may have missed one minute. [or longer if you need it]
This editorial service is part of the long standing editing and posting practice of Automotive Information Network and Automotive Digest.
We have sought to capture the "Situation" that prompted a given news story and then to provide the "Significance" in a few words or what the situational news might mean to you and your company or enterprise.
More detail is posted on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and our Blog.
Here is the News NOW that you will want to know. ICYMI.
Another Shoe has dropped: OEMs other than VW About to be Caught UP in Diesel Emission Scandal; Now Its FCA Challenging EPA Engine Calibrations & ProcessSITUATION:
FCA accused of using defeating SW in 104,000 Dodge pickups & Jeeps
Allowed diesels to exceed legal limits on toxic emissions of NOx gases. EPA says engines used undisclosed SW that alters characteristics of emissions controls to exceed NOx limits.
FCA called dispute a “difference of opinion” over whether engine’s “calibrations met the regulations”.
FCA insists it “may be technically deficient but not immoral”.
FCA’s shares plummeted by 16%, though recovered slightly.
Failure to disclose this type of software also breaks the rules.
Any wrongdoing is strongly denied by the company.
Germany’s transport minister insisted an “illegal shut-off device” used.
Many diesels emit far more noxious gases than under test conditions.
Fine of $4 B would not “break its neck in the current environment
American regulators investigate Fiat Chrysler for emissions cheating.
[As Sourced from the Economist] _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ya –Connected Cars are Really Coming: $155B Market with 59M Cars Connected to Internet in next 15 Years; Steps to get readySecuring the Connected Car: Connectivity Best Practices, Challenges & Implications
THE SITUATION with Connected Car Management:
Cisco’s CTO published White Paper on how to be ready for new market
Cisco's role is “sensing and evangelizing” key trends to automotive.
Seeks to outline how the industry including dealers needs to be ready.
WHY SIGNIFICANT TO YOU NOW:
1. Note and dig into 6 areas listed from vehicle design to Post Purchase
2. Will enable you to pay close attention to & understand ecosystem.
3. You will gain a grasp of each step in lifecycle of a Connected Car.
Take the time to plow through this comprehensive document and capture the 6 steps in your "Automotive Future(s)" folder.
The Most Frustrating Step in Car Buying – It’s Not What You Think. New Research Measures Emotions During PurchaseFreak Out, Buy a Car: 5 of 8 Emotional Steps in buying a car are Negative, Frustrating & Fearful.
SITUATION That Prompted Research:
Emotions drive purchase decision;Cause shoppers to leave before sale.
Buyer research rates positive feelings during 8 steps of purchase.
Tradein appraisals, deal terms, & financing made people disappointed.
SIGNIFICANCE of Research:
Dealers can control car buying experience & manage buyer emotions.
Emotional highs & lows of vehicle purchase are measured & rated.
Dealers to be transparent with pricing, payments & educate prior to F&I.
The Most Frustrating Step in Car Buying Car – It’s Not What You Think. New Research Measures Emotions During Purchase
Data War(s) are Coming: Situation:
Apple, Google, & Data Miners vs Coveting OEMs for Data Using Mobility, AI & Analytics
Mobility will be disruptive & transformative going forward.
Too many companies competing for market share of mobility.
OEMs want to get into mobility services; Competing with Silicon Valley.
Significance or Takeaways for Dealer Mgt
Google & Apple more interested in mobility services instead of cars.
Big winners will be data miners using Artificial Intelligence & analytics
War over access to mobility & data is coming.
Auto industry becoming new business with opportunity to control data.
See source article from John McElroy's insightful posting "Pitfalls, Opportunity and the Big Mobility Shakeout" ________________________________________________________________________________
Google Challenging Agency Ad Process: Sez Create Your Own Brand Videos for YouTube
[Quicker, Cheaper, & Speedier Production & Feedback]
YouTube Labs is now linking brands with YouTube Creators.
How: By Creating a platform for a series of videos for each brand
Disrupts of traditional advertising model & bypasses broadcast, cable TV
Delivers FB & YouTube directly to customer on the video publishing platforms.
YouTube video bloggers growing part of marketing content creation for brands.
Implications for Ad Agencies, video production houses, publishers, buyers of ads.as well as Automotive companies.
Moves Google into a sort of talent brokerage.
Called "Agile Method" by SW developers to achieve better, faster, cheaper ads.
Emphasis on speed to stream, with agency work going straight to production.
Scripts approved, guided by insights & market knowledge from YouTube creators.
Optimized video then put online to listen to conversations & feedback from consumers.
See AD Age article in its entirety
Google Links Brands With YouTube Creators: Are Agencies and Influencer Networks Threatened?
If you consider yourself to be a Thought Leader, want to be a Thought Leader, or seek to find and hang out with thought leaders, then these six "Thought-full and Leader-full" books will be your reading focus for the next year.
Why should you pay any attention to this?
Because you not only better, you got to understand and be aware of what is coming. Your career, your job, and what you are now doing will be changed soon by artificial intelligence, blockchain technology, data science, machine learning, robotics, 3D printing, algorithmic programming, VR, AR, additive manufacturing, and behavioral marketing, just to mention a few "things" to keep track of.
Go & Take a look at Six books that will enable you to gain a grasp of what is ahead for you and the automotive & business community ______________________________________________________________________
19 Foot 3D Printing Breakthrough: Large Scale Metal 3D Printing Being Delivered to Aircraft Manufacturing[Soon, if not already, coming to Automotive Parts Making & Assembly.]
♣ Airbus will utilize Sciaky's industrial-scale metal 3D printing system to produce large structural parts made of titanium.
♣ Process combines computer-aided design (CAD), additive manufacturing processing principles, and an electron beam heat source
Significant to Automotive:
♣ EBAM systems can produce parts ranging from 8 inches (203 mm) to 19 feet (5.79 meters) in length
♣ Means that same process to apply to auto assembly parts production in future.
♣ Brings quality & control together with Interlayer Real-time Imaging and Sensing System.
If you are a visionary: Click and see if you can understand the process & how it will change the parts business in automotive. ________________________________________________________________________________________________________
“We Don’t Need 5G in Cars”: Report Captures Car Cockpit Data Fight Over Adoption of DSRC using 802.11p vs Wi-FISituation or Why the Fight?
• Mobile Experts LLC has released a hard-hitting study.
• Report investigates connectivity for telematics, vehicle-to-vehicle. (V2V) and vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I) applications using DSRC & LTE,7 wireless apps for cars.
• Suggests new biz models for insurance & 5G technology prospects
• Fight grew out of political battle raging within the auto industry
• Wireless industry-led by Qualcomm--pushing for extension of Wi-Fi
Here is what the Report Contends: No Need for 5G in Cars
• Cars are already connected using 2G, 3G, and LTE.
• Authors say we don't see a role for 5G in the car.
• Predicts rise of new business models coming to the market.
• Such as Usage Based Insurance, fleet management, infotainment, & improved safety.
Learn what this MEANS to the auto market, see PDF and Link ________________________________________________________________________
Why Monitoring Need-to-Know Can be Source for Power:
More and more, you can rely on the publishing team at Automotive Digest to post, feature, and leverage substantive content from which you can learn and benefit by investing 5 minutes or less of Ingestion Time to get an idea or actionable to make you, yourself, and your presence more important and impactful.
What is the Significant Message in this great article?:
As the author says: "If you’re serious about making an impact in the world, power down your smartphone, close your browser tabs, roll up your sleeves and get to work."
Here is an irony about the point of this posting:
We will find ourselves going to Twitter and Facebook to post a link and plug that will drive traffic back to www.automotivedigest.com and then on to L2 Daily posting for the entire read.
Now go get this great article from the NYTimes.
“Let’s Do Better” Doesn’t Work Anymore: 30 Reasons Why White Males in Hollywood & the Automotive Business Need to Listen, Change, & Act on Inclusion ASAP
Diversity and Inclusion is not working in Hollywood. Many say it is not working in automotive business, either.
So Variety Magazine decided to stage a conference to talk about Inclusion & what to do about it.
There may be a need for all business, not just in Hollywood or the Auto Business to heed, listen, and act on making Inclusion a central goal & strategy from now on.
The White Boys Network in Hollywood is about to abruptly changed as Women, Blacks, Latinos, Lesbians, LGBT, Disabled, and Older people have had it with the present system:
Click, Go, See, & Ingest the list of 30 Reasons why Inclusion is now a top priority for all Americans--Not just Hollywood.
Un-Stuck in LA Traffic: Future of Transportation Panel Takes 40 Year Look & Spells Action Plan Options
LA has big problems & challenges with homelessness, affordable housing, & jobs nearby.
The LA Business Council staged 15th Annual Mayoral Housing, Transportation, & Jobs Summit last week to deal with all this.
To see & gain the most Significant Take-Aways:
First, click on the image or Headline above to see who made the most impact among the presenters. Then watch & learn from the YouTube video of the Future of Transportation panel at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRUAKYnJnHo.
Can’t Find a Car on Your Lot: How Your Dealership Can Stop Losing Sales and Pay for the Solution Within 90 days. The Situation:
• You can't find a specific car on your lot immediately to close a sale.
• You are losing sales because prospects won't wait for you to find car.
• You need a solution now.
• The Solution is to use OBD Technology - On Board Diagnostics.
• The Payback on your investment will be only 90 days or less.
• No more "lost" sales because of "lost" cars on the lot.
Find out how OBD Technology solved this problem
Takeaways: Thinking thinkLA’s Friday Afternoon Conference Works with Test Drive Experiment, Incentives, Data, Carla, MX 5, & Disruptive TrendsThe Situation:
• thinkLA is a nonprofit association founded to promote Los Angeles as a network of creativity and innovation in media, marketing, and advertising.
• The members are the power people in LA's creative, entertainment, & digital marketing including ad and PR agencies.
• thinkLA stages conference like Motor City West in several different market segments
Significance of this conference:
• The conference management team sold out the event on a Friday afternoon - easily 300 people in the room.
• The conference content hit on the State of the Industry from Motor Trends Editors to AutoDisruptors to, Carlabs with a machine learning bot named Carla coaching you on how to find the car you want.
• Auto marketing is alive in LA when a conference like this "works" so well.
• The Future of Cars is Now.
• How people will move about in the future is central strategic focus
• What is the focus of every Asian OEMs and autonomous vehicle developers?
• The LA World Affairs Council staged The Future of Asia Conference in late Sept.
• Agenda featured expert panel focused on the future of cars in Asia & U.S.
The Significance of the Panel Presentation at this Conference:
• Understand future of vehicle technology, manufacturing, and utilization by Asian auto makers
• Note particularly how the 2 Chinese OEMs see future market, development & manufacturing.
See the summary of the insights, observations, & assessments by 3 expert panelists.
2. Controlled Ad Viewing on Specialty Programming platforms (Crackle).
3. Mobile viewing of movies,car ads,& news growing: Blocking still a constraint.
4. Influencer Marketing is powerful means to increase audience.
5. Two new programming sites producing own content – Crackle & EPIX.
6. Charity Site, Pixhug, becoming an effective way to raise money for causes.
7. Lots of focus in panels on Millennials and their viewing practices
8. Monetizing video is big challenge even in TV.
9. TV production companies & studio obsessed with Story Telling.
10. VR has big future but viewer access using the “boxes” is challenge.
For more detail on a least some of what came down in presentations
Truth in Auto Lending is Coming: Blockchain Technology & Smart Contracts May Replace Your Auto Finance Guy, Controller, & Maybe F&I & Floor Planning at the Dealership.SITUATION:
• Blockchain Tech to be Auto Lending Game Changer: Mashes up cryptography & peer-to-peer networking.
• Creates a shared database of transactions & other information.
• A blockchain is an ever-lengthening chain of blocks of data.
• Toyota Financial Services has used Blockchain & smart contracts.
• Delinquent auto loans automatically transfer ownership & loanee can’t use the car.
• All parties to know all about auto loans, rates, apps, stips, & fine print.
• Blockchain could reduce need for businesses to organize as companies.
• Collaborators will work together as free agents instead of under bosses.
• Blockchain could replace bankers, accountants, & lawyers, escrow accounts, insurance, & verification of payments & performance of contracts.
• Truth-telling feature of Blockchain makes it enormously useful to banks.
• Ethereum, goes beyond ledger function; Works more like Google Docs—shares SW that can be used by all but is tamperproof.
Start getting up to speed on BlockChain with an in-depth Bloomberg article.
• Car dealerships are target for hyperlocal media & suppliers of digital marketing technology & services,
• After steady growth to record 2015, auto sales now sluggish, & dealership consolidation continues.
• Researcher Borrell projects dealerships to spend $14 B on digital & online advertising in 2016.
• Dealers shifting to Digital & Mobile-Spend over 60% of media budget online
• Borrell’s survey reveals that dealers cutting back on traditional media.
• Kia dealer confessed spending majority of digital budget on search
• Dealers frequently do not have resources to do analytics on display or brand tracking
• Have relied on OEM's data analytics & customer experience surveys.
Find David Card, Street Fight’s director of research, and his complete Need-to-Know article _______________________________________________________________________________
• BC Canada company, PAL-V, says it going make a car fly soon.
• Public is psyched: Google traffic of over 135,000 monthly searches.
• CEO claims company most likely to deliver a "real" flying car.
• Work is done to create flying car that meets regs & safe to fly.
• Creating flying car with solid appeal in North American market place.
• PAL-V has been the quietest player in the market World-wide.
• PAL-V Limited Edition model will be available to 90 buyers, 25 in NA.
More info & video on PAL-V in North America
Contact Mark Jennings-Bates, VP Sales.1 250 859 4893
Aswath wrote a very comprehensive, analytical, and probably brilliant article about Ride Sharing in Seeking Alpha in August. He is basically saying that disruptive Ride Sharing has got to make money
Summary or Significance of What He said:
• Disruption is easy but making money off disruption is difficult, and ride sharing companies would be exhibit 1 to back up the proposition.
• While the ride sharing option is here to stay and will continue to grow, ride sharing companies still have not figured out a way to convert ride sharing revenues in profits.
• I have argued every young growth company has a bar mitzvah moment, a time in its history when markets shift attention away from surface measures of growth to more operating substance (evidence that users are being monetized).
• This may be premature but I have sense that the bar mitzvah moment has arrived or will be arriving soon for ride sharing companies.
This article is must reading for all automotive startups so go get it