Mobility will be disruptive & transformative going forward.
Too many companies competing for market share of mobility.
OEMs want to get into mobility services; Competing with Silicon Valley.
Significance or Takeaways for Dealer Mgt
Google & Apple more interested in mobility services instead of cars.
Big winners will be data miners using Artificial Intelligence & analytics
War over access to mobility & data is coming.
Auto industry becoming new business with opportunity to control data.
See source article from John McElroy's insightful posting
"Pitfalls, Opportunity and the Big Mobility Shakeout"
YouTube Labs is now linking brands with YouTube Creators.
How: By Creating a platform for a series of videos for each brand
Disrupts of traditional advertising model & bypasses broadcast, cable TV
Delivers FB & YouTube directly to customer on the video publishing platforms.
YouTube video bloggers growing part of marketing content creation for brands.
Implications for Ad Agencies, video production houses, publishers, buyers of ads.as well as Automotive companies.
Moves Google into a sort of talent brokerage.
Called "Agile Method" by SW developers to achieve better, faster, cheaper ads.
Emphasis on speed to stream, with agency work going straight to production.
Scripts approved, guided by insights & market knowledge from YouTube creators.
Optimized video then put online to listen to conversations & feedback from consumers.
See AD Age article in its entirety
Google Links Brands With YouTube Creators: Are Agencies and Influencer Networks Threatened?
What are you thinking about these days?
If you consider yourself to be a Thought Leader, want to be a Thought Leader, or seek to find and hang out with thought leaders, then these six "Thought-full and Leader-full" books will be your reading focus for the next year.
Why should you pay any attention to this?
Because you not only better, you got to understand and be aware of what is coming. Your career, your job, and what you are now doing will be changed soon by artificial intelligence, blockchain technology, data science, machine learning, robotics, 3D printing, algorithmic programming, VR, AR, additive manufacturing, and behavioral marketing, just to mention a few "things" to keep track of.
Go & Take a look at Six books that will enable you to gain a grasp of what is ahead for you and the automotive & business community
[Soon, if not already, coming to Automotive Parts Making & Assembly.]
♣ Airbus will utilize Sciaky's industrial-scale metal 3D printing system to produce large structural parts made of titanium.
♣ Process combines computer-aided design (CAD), additive manufacturing processing principles, and an electron beam heat source
Significant to Automotive:
♣ EBAM systems can produce parts ranging from 8 inches (203 mm) to 19 feet (5.79 meters) in length
♣ Means that same process to apply to auto assembly parts production in future.
♣ Brings quality & control together with Interlayer Real-time Imaging and Sensing System.
If you are a visionary: Click and see if you can understand the process & how it will change the parts business in automotive.
Situation or Why the Fight?
• Mobile Experts LLC has released a hard-hitting study.
• Report investigates connectivity for telematics, vehicle-to-vehicle.
(V2V) and vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I) applications using DSRC &
LTE,7 wireless apps for cars.
• Suggests new biz models for insurance & 5G technology prospects
• Fight grew out of political battle raging within the auto industry
• Wireless industry-led by Qualcomm--pushing for extension of Wi-Fi
Here is what the Report Contends: No Need for 5G in Cars
• Cars are already connected using 2G, 3G, and LTE.
• Authors say we don't see a role for 5G in the car.
• Predicts rise of new business models coming to the market.
• Such as Usage Based Insurance, fleet management, infotainment, & improved safety.
Learn what this MEANS to the auto market, see PDF and Link
Why Monitoring Need-to-Know Can be Source for Power:
More and more, you can rely on the publishing team at Automotive Digest to post, feature, and leverage substantive content from which you can learn and benefit by investing 5 minutes or less of Ingestion Time to get an idea or actionable to make you, yourself, and your presence more important and impactful.
What is the Significant Message in this great article?:
As the author says: "If you’re serious about making an impact in the world, power down your smartphone, close your browser tabs, roll up your sleeves and get to work."
Here is an irony about the point of this posting:
We will find ourselves going to Twitter and Facebook to post a link and plug that will drive traffic back to www.automotivedigest.com and then on to L2 Daily posting for the entire read.
Now go get this great article from the NYTimes.
Diversity and Inclusion is not working in Hollywood. Many say it is not working in automotive business, either.
So Variety Magazine decided to stage a conference to talk about Inclusion & what to do about it.
There may be a need for all business, not just in Hollywood or the Auto Business to heed, listen, and act on making Inclusion a central goal & strategy from now on.
The White Boys Network in Hollywood is about to abruptly changed as Women, Blacks, Latinos, Lesbians, LGBT, Disabled, and Older people have had it with the present system:
Click, Go, See, & Ingest the list of 30 Reasons why Inclusion is now a top priority for all Americans--Not just Hollywood.
LA has big problems & challenges with homelessness, affordable housing, & jobs nearby.
The LA Business Council staged 15th Annual Mayoral Housing, Transportation, & Jobs Summit last week to deal with all this.
To see & gain the most Significant Take-Aways:
First, click on the image or Headline above to see who made the most impact among the presenters.
Then watch & learn from the YouTube video of the Future of Transportation panel at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRUAKYnJnHo.
• You can't find a specific car on your lot immediately to close a sale.
• You are losing sales because prospects won't wait for you to find car.
• You need a solution now.
• The Solution is to use OBD Technology - On Board Diagnostics.
• The Payback on your investment will be only 90 days or less.
• No more "lost" sales because of "lost" cars on the lot.
Find out how OBD Technology solved this problem
• thinkLA is a nonprofit association founded to promote Los Angeles as a network of creativity and innovation in media, marketing, and advertising.
• The members are the power people in LA's creative, entertainment, & digital marketing including ad and PR agencies.
• thinkLA stages conference like Motor City West in several different market segments
Significance of this conference:
• The conference management team sold out the event on a Friday afternoon - easily 300 people in the room.
• The conference content hit on the State of the Industry from Motor Trends Editors to AutoDisruptors to, Carlabs with a machine learning bot named Carla coaching you on how to find the car you want.
• Auto marketing is alive in LA when a conference like this "works" so well.
Get the Takeaways
• The Future of Cars is Now.
• How people will move about in the future is central strategic focus
• What is the focus of every Asian OEMs and autonomous vehicle developers?
• The LA World Affairs Council staged The Future of Asia Conference in late Sept.
• Agenda featured expert panel focused on the future of cars in Asia & U.S.
The Significance of the Panel Presentation at this Conference:
• Understand future of vehicle technology, manufacturing, and utilization by Asian auto makers
• Note particularly how the 2 Chinese OEMs see future market, development & manufacturing.
See the summary of the insights, observations, & assessments by 3 expert panelists.
1. Live Streaming of programming content is hot.
2. Controlled Ad Viewing on Specialty Programming platforms (Crackle).
3. Mobile viewing of movies,car ads,& news growing: Blocking still a constraint.
4. Influencer Marketing is powerful means to increase audience.
5. Two new programming sites producing own content – Crackle & EPIX.
6. Charity Site, Pixhug, becoming an effective way to raise money for causes.
7. Lots of focus in panels on Millennials and their viewing practices
8. Monetizing video is big challenge even in TV.
9. TV production companies & studio obsessed with Story Telling.
10. VR has big future but viewer access using the “boxes” is challenge.
For more detail on a least some of what came down in presentations
• Blockchain Tech to be Auto Lending Game Changer: Mashes up cryptography & peer-to-peer networking.
• Creates a shared database of transactions & other information.
• A blockchain is an ever-lengthening chain of blocks of data.
• Toyota Financial Services has used Blockchain & smart contracts.
• Delinquent auto loans automatically transfer ownership & loanee can’t use the car.
• All parties to know all about auto loans, rates, apps, stips, & fine print.
• Blockchain could reduce need for businesses to organize as companies.
• Collaborators will work together as free agents instead of under bosses.
• Blockchain could replace bankers, accountants, & lawyers, escrow accounts, insurance, & verification of payments & performance of contracts.
• Truth-telling feature of Blockchain makes it enormously useful to banks.
• Ethereum, goes beyond ledger function; Works more like Google Docs—shares SW that can be used by all but is tamperproof.
Start getting up to speed on BlockChain with an in-depth Bloomberg article.
• Car dealerships are target for hyperlocal media & suppliers of digital marketing technology & services,
• After steady growth to record 2015, auto sales now sluggish, & dealership consolidation continues.
• Researcher Borrell projects dealerships to spend $14 B on digital & online advertising in 2016.
• Dealers shifting to Digital & Mobile-Spend over 60% of media budget online
• Borrell’s survey reveals that dealers cutting back on traditional media.
• Kia dealer confessed spending majority of digital budget on search
• Dealers frequently do not have resources to do analytics on display or brand tracking
• Have relied on OEM's data analytics & customer experience surveys.
Find David Card, Street Fight’s director of research, and his complete Need-to-Know article
• BC Canada company, PAL-V, says it going make a car fly soon.
• Public is psyched: Google traffic of over 135,000 monthly searches.
• CEO claims company most likely to deliver a "real" flying car.
• Work is done to create flying car that meets regs & safe to fly.
• Creating flying car with solid appeal in North American market place.
• PAL-V has been the quietest player in the market World-wide.
• PAL-V Limited Edition model will be available to 90 buyers, 25 in NA.
More info & video on PAL-V in North America
Contact Mark Jennings-Bates, VP Sales.1 250 859 4893
Who wrote this great article? Aswath Damodaran, Professor of Finance at the Stern School of Business at New York University, where he teaches corporate finance and equity valuation
Aswath wrote a very comprehensive, analytical, and probably brilliant article about Ride Sharing in Seeking Alpha in August.
He is basically saying that disruptive Ride Sharing has got to make money
Summary or Significance of What He said:
• Disruption is easy but making money off disruption is difficult, and ride sharing companies would be exhibit 1 to back up the proposition.
• While the ride sharing option is here to stay and will continue to grow, ride sharing companies still have not figured out a way to convert ride sharing revenues in profits.
• I have argued every young growth company has a bar mitzvah moment, a time in its history when markets shift attention away from surface measures of growth to more operating substance (evidence that users are being monetized).
• This may be premature but I have sense that the bar mitzvah moment has arrived or will be arriving soon for ride sharing companies.
This article is must reading for all automotive startups so go get it
• Japan to get power for hydrogen cars from sewage sources
• Japan & Toyota in major push to market hydrogen-powered cars
• Most hydrogen in U.S. is produced from natural gas
• In California, 20 retail hydrogen stations now open; 16 more coming.
• Biogas major source of hydrogen from waste water treatment plants, landfills, manure
• California is one of the most biogas-rich states in the nation
• Toyota has already sold over 1,000 Marai with 2,000 on order.
For a complete briefing,
see in-depth online article from LA Times. > Getting High on Hydrogen: California Market to be big with some help from Japan.
What is the new editorial platform all about on Automotive Digest?
With the launch of the new AutoDisruptor editorial platform, Automotive Digest has begun a series of editorial and content posting about many of the the 150 postings as we are watch, study, communicate and cover these automotive startups every day.
Serving 150 AutoDisruptors
We hope that this special coverage will help these startups to compete by using new, innovative, and integrated marketing tools, channels, and platforms.
A core objective is to help extend the reach to each company’s audience and to educate that target market about the innovative technology and the breakthrough products and services of these 150 AutoDisruptors.
Find out about Skurt.
This coverage of the newly launched car rental app, Skurt, is an example the focus is help increase market awareness, new business development opportunities, & to provide communications resources as is the recent posting all about Roadster.
Declining gas prices have stalled Green Car Sales
75% of Hybrid Trade-ins went home with all gas car
Drivers consume nearly 10 M barrels of a gas every day
Hybrids save people about $400 a year in fuel costs
As regulators demand more efficient vehicles, gas vehicles will decline
Gas or Carbon tax may be answer but electric must create more value
• DOT, EPA, & California Air Resource Board said the manufacturers have brought rapid innovation and technology to the market.
• 54.7 MPG target looms over the Industry with constant threat for Feds & fines.
• Report says OEMs have developed more technology to improve fuel economy & GH gases than previously thought.
• Concern that Fed pressure should not weaken demand for SUVs & trucks [Dan Becker, Center for Auto Safety]
• The technology from engines, transmissions, & control technology in EVs & Hybrids is enabling OEMs to beat expectations.
See & Know
how well the OEMs are doing with meeting forthcoming fuel standards.
Car Buying site sets up an arrangement that enables an expert to help and coach a consumer buy a car.
Service matches car buyer with an expert who buys & sells cars every day.
Cars4Real.com is the first online car buying service to offer consumers real purchasing power.
Cars4Real Experts seeks to give the customer the negotiating info they would need to go in and get the best deal.
Site Founders have been able to recruit Cars4Real Partner Experts across 16 states to assist car buyers.
Service gives the user purchasing power based on their individual financial and credit worthiness.
Get more of the "real" story of Cars4real
Uber is gearing up to upend the auto loan market.
Making big push into Trillion $ auto financing market.
Endgame of Uber's auto market disruption is a world where you never own a car again.
Uber has fleet discount deals with all the major manufacturers.
Wants more Ubers on the road by any means necessary in newer cars.
Created Xchange Leasing last year as a wholly-owned Uber subsidiary.
Changing car ownership for drivers with flexible options for access to a car to earn extra income.
By end of 2016, Uber expects 100,000 cars will have been provided globally
Be an UberReader and go to CNBC site for more about auto funding
Peer to Peer car shoppers buy & sell pre-owned cars in 16 metros in 9 states without going to a dealership for test drive or delivery.
The entire buy, sell, & finance of the transaction done on a smart phone or PC.
Offers test drive with car inspection & money-back guarantee as a trusted brand.
Beepi algorithm enabling people to buy/sell cars in previously hidden market.
Streamlined financing with Chase & credit unions. Ally Financial does leasing. Can pay with credit card or Bitcoin
Buying process is started & finished online with delivery to the home or office.
Find more on how Beepi is disrupting the preowned car market
Blockchain technology was created to support the currency Bit Coin.
Appears the rapid adoption by banks, securities, insurance changing things.
Blockchain has never been hacked so this may be the solution to car hacking.
Blockchain Technology is coming to automotive if not already here.
Savings being experienced by banks will come to automotive systems.
Insurance companies using BT to sell insurance & mutual funds means F&I applications.
Airline loyalty programs to be migrated to OEM and dealer loyalty programs.
People are turning to Blockchain for solutions and auto will soon.
Get up to speed on BlockChain
from Business Week article May 23 issue
Toyota seeks to take back Green Image claimed by Tesla.
Toyota hopes hybrid-gas-electric car will get 45 mpg.
Marai creates its own electricity on demand to power motor.
Hydrogen powered vehicle can be fueled in 5 minutes.
Problem: no H2 fueling stations, only 16 in the U.S.
Will give Toyota the Opp to regain green image & spotlight.
Cost of the Marai: $57,500 or lease for $500/month.
First Element Fuels building 19 H2 Fueling station in CA with Toyota loans.
Shunning electrics because of battery constraints.
See Forbes well done article for more