New cars going into service everyday know where the drivers are, where they are going, and whether the driver is wearing a seatbelt.
What Does This Mean?
- First questions are: Who owns all this data? Are there any limits?
- VW Head, Martin Winterkorn, is really concerned & warning all
- Spoke in convincing terms at Hanover CeBIT IT fair last week
- The car of the future must not be a data monster, he says
- VW says yes to bug data but seeks voluntary commitment from OEMs
- Sensors and microprocessors collecting data for years
- Connected car market to be $113B by 2020
- Social networks, GPS & telematics systems producing data
- Over 5M cars are being tracked by insurance companies
- SIM card technology enabling drivers to use in emergency