Recent buzz in dealer circles: two stores that got nailed by FTC for making bad, misleading ads.
Settling charges by FTC for alleged deceptive advertising is costly, embarrassing, and time-consuming for dealerships.
- Spending money now to avoid future issues and disruptions
- Hiring lawyers, changing Web providers, and checking ad content
- Dealer in Cleveland and one in Baltimore concluded such settlements
- FTC is cracking down on dealer advertising in last 2 years
- Now a major priority for FTC, more than ever
- FTC criteria is that customers need to be fully informed
- Web developers programming pages that show variable disclosures
- Dealers avoiding mentioning of price in ads
- Hiring compliance groups to be sure ads meet standards