With all kinds of options under consideration, Committee Chair backs off bringing funding to vote.
With some committee disagreement, says funding was not the will in Congress or the public.
- One option was/is raise fuel tax 15 cent to pay for roads
- But Committee chair took this off the table for now
- Says economy not in good shape, so must consider other options
- Seeking ways to “fill the hole” in the highway trust fund
- Options are more off shore drilling, off shore taxation & miles tax
- Fed fuel tax is about $38M annually
- Congress hopes to pass a 5- or 6-year transportation reauthorization bill
- Fed Highway Admin says we need $20.5 B to fix nation’s roads
- Fed gas tax of 18.4 cents per gallon, passed in 1993