Close vote still shows how challenging it is for UAW to organize newly built plants in the South.
AFL CIO (remember that acronym?) says they are going to keep trying.
- Unions keep talking about raising wages and improving work conditions
- Union executive council meeting in Houston to re-group
- Leader of labor movement is downplaying defeat
- Sees progress in the South as being difficult in short term
- Sees Latino population growth in South as an opportunity
- Union is successful with minimum wage change & fast food workers
- Making progress on social policy front
- Membership is 11.3% of work force nationally