The Cavender family has been selling and servicing cars and trucks in San Antonio and South Texas for more than 70 years, but in 2012, the senior management team at San Antonio-based Cavender Toyota recognized the need to initiate new digital marketing strategy designed to elevate their store from competitor to leader in the San Antonio market.
The team built their new approach around the Dealer.com Unified Advertising Exchange and three key implementation steps:
- Meticulously maintain your website:
Recognizing that any digital advertising campaigns would need a high-performing website to successfully convert traffic, Cavender’s Digital Marketing Director, Julie Chisum, devoted resources to ensuring her website was meticulously maintained. She started by assembling a Mobile Lot Capture team dedicated to adding pre-owned vehicles to Cavender’s website as soon as they hit the lot, then added a graphic designer to produce content for custom landing pages built through Dealer.com’s website composer. “Everything starts with the website,” Chisum noted. “We wanted to be first out with every message and have totally trustworthy inventory pages.”
- Ditch the “analog” advertising
Next, Cavender cancelled its radio and print advertising, and focused its advertising budget on connected paid search, display, retargeting and mobile-specific campaigns through the Unified Advertising Exchange. Chisum partnered with Dealer.com Media Consultants throughout this transition to digital to help refine Cavender’s media mix, gauge the ROI of every digital investment, and make strategic adjustments.
- Stand out with Social Media ads:
Finally, after discovering none of its competition was advertising on Facebook, and few competitors were using it effectively, the Cavender team sensed an opportunity to stand out. The team quickly developed a content strategy focused on helpful vehicle tips and community information, and invested in the Unified Advertising Exchange’s social advertising tool, Managed Facebook Advertising, to help grow the Cavender social fanbase and reach auto intenders through ads.
Cavender Toyota Digital Advertising Results at a Glance:
- 113% Increase in Total Unique Website Visits
- 143% Increase in Total Leads
- 337% Increase in Total Pageviews
- Within a year of implementing their connected retargeting, paid search, display and social campaigns, Cavendar’s overall web traffic increased by 30%, and the dealership vaulted from #60 in nationwide Toyota sales to #20.
- Beyond sales, Cavender’s digital strategy lifted its brand: It’s Facebook fanbase rose from 300 fans to 2,200, and its social presence created true brand ambassadors – “raving fans” whose testimonials Cavender uses on its website.
Find out how your dealership can experience the ultimate integration of Campaigns, Channels, Networks and Services with Dealer.com’s Unified Advertising Exchange.