By Ron Henson
As a new year arrives and everyone is locked into resolutions, I humbly offer the following list as possibilities for Dealership Operators:
Resolve to sell more from stock rather than managers arranging dealer trades all day long. Are you ordering the correct New Car inventory if dealer trades are a daily activity?
- Resolve to hold your sales staff accountable for product knowledge on your product as well as key competitors. (Manager’s responsibility)
- Resolve to find the balance between holding respectable gross on new cars and maintaining world class CSI. Remember: CSI = Customer Supplies Income
- Resolve to assure that your Variable Ops departments and Fixed Ops Departments work as a team.
- Resolve to have the GM or Dealer Principal personally complete a physical inventory monthly. Your flooring source will love this!
- Resolve to commit to a sustained and consistent training program for your team. Daily training = A Healthier Bottom Line
- Resolve to tell your Admin Team how much you appreciate them at least once a week.GM’s and DP’s: Resolve to work the desk, the parts counter, the service drive, and YES, the wash bay at least once per quarter. Amazing things happen when the Head Honcho rolls up his sleeves and gets in the trenches.
- Resolve to commit to Digital in your sales, training, advertising, service business, EVERYTHING! The dealers who cast their nets where the fish are (Online) are the ones who will thrive in market share in 2013.
As a long time car guy myself, I certainly don’t presume that I have all of the answers to market share dominance. However, some of these may be a step in the right direction.
Ron Henson is Dealer Services Manager at DrivingSales.com. Read the full article here.